- Enjoy the security of a career in healthcare
- Be career-ready in as little as 3 months
- Train to earn an average of $37,000/yr
- All for only $1,695 USD
MARCH ONLY: Lock in 2013 pricing and Get a free Laptop or Kindle FireEnroll Online »
Medical Administrative Assistant Job Description
What Are the Advantages of a Medical Administrative Assistant Career?
Being a medical administrative assistant offers a number of benefits including:
- The security of healthcare – The healthcare industry is growing rapidly, and a career as a medical administrative assistant lets you enjoy the security of that growth.
- Competitive salaries and benefits – Medical administrative assistants typically earn about $19/hr, and these professionals may also qualify for traditional employment benefits.
- Starting place for further education or advancement – A career as a medical administrative assistant gets your foot in the door at a hospital or physician’s office, making it easier to move to a different position if you gain additional education or experience later on.
With a Career Step education, you will learn the organization and business skills needed to run a medical office and be a successful medical administrative assistant.
What Does a Medical Administrative Assistant Do?
Almost every healthcare facility has at least one medical administrative assistant who keeps the business on track while others see to the needs of patients. Your specific job responsibilities would depend on your employers, but often medical administrative assistants handle:
- Day-to-day medical office operations
- Updating and organizing medical records
- Scheduling and confirming appointments
- Entering and verifying patients’ insurance details
- Completing and submitting insurance forms
- Putting together and editing patient/provider correspondence
- Greeting guests and providing a good first impression of the facility
Medical administrative assistants generally work in a professional environment in physicians’ offices, hospitals, clinics, etc.
How Much Do Medical Administrative Assistants Earn?
Working in Canada reports that, on average, medical administrative assistants earn between $12.50 and $25.62 an hour. For more information on average wages in your specific region, visit the Working in Canada website. You may also qualify for benefits as a medical administrative assistant.
Career Step's Medical Administrative Assistant course helps you gain the skills you need to maximize your job opportunities and earning potential by preparing you to earn the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) credential. This credential proves to employers that you have the skills they’re looking for, and you'll be prepared to sit for the certification exam upon graduation.
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
- "This program was very clear and easy to follow. Also, the flexibility allowed me to study around my life with 4 children. I would recommend this program to others." Read More Testimonials »