- Prepare for the future of healthcare
- Be career-ready in as little as 3 months
- Train to earn an average of $37,000/yr
- All for only $2,695 USD
Free laptop + free shipping ends March 31!Enroll Online »
Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR Program FAQs
Get answers to the most common and important questions about enrolling in on of the medical administrative assistant training programs at Career Step. Our FAQs section provides answers to help you make an informed decision about your education.
- What role do medical administrative assistants play?
Medical administrative assistants can be found in a variety of healthcare facilities because they keep the business on track while others see to the clinical needs of patients. Your specific job responsibilities would depend on your employer, but medical administrative assistants often handle:
- Creating and updating patients' electronic health records
- Managing the day-to-day operations of a medical facility
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments
- Verifying patient insurances
- Completing and submitting insurance claims
- Preparing correspondence between medical providers and their patients
- Providing quality customer service to patients
Medical administrative assistants generally work in a professional environment in physicians’ office, hospitals, clinics, etc.
- What is the labour market for medical administrative assistants?
Job opportunities for medical administrative assistants vary across the different regions of Canada. For specific information on the labour market in your area, please visit the Working in Canada website. Career Step's Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program helps you gain the skills needed to earn the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) credentials, so you can prove to employers that you have the skills they’re looking for. (The Medical Administrative Assistant program prepare students to earn the CMAA credential.)
- How much can I earn as a medical administrative assistant?
Working in Canada reports that, on average, medical administrative assistants earn between $12.50 and $25.62 an hour. For more information on average wages in your specific region, visit the Working in Canada website. You may also qualify for benefits as a medical administrative assistant.
- Do I need to be certified?
The Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program prepares you for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) credentials offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)—and vouchers to take these certification exams are even included with the course (a $210 total value). Though these certifications are not required for employment, earning these credentials increases your job opportunities and earning potential while also proving a high level of professionalism to your potential employers.
- What are the advantages of training with Career Step?
Career Step has been training quality healthcare professionals for over 20 years and offers comprehensive training programs that prepares students to work as medical administrative assistants. With Career Step, you can train affordably without sacrificing quality, learn from comprehensive curriculum developed by industry professionals, take advantage of live student and graduate support, and—with the Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program—quickly gain the specialized EHR skills needed for the future of healthcare. We're committed to helping you achieve your goals, and Career Step provides everything you need to succeed!
- What kind of skills or experience do I need to enter the Career Step program?
In order to be admitted, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a) have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or b) pass the Career Step Pre-Enrollment Assessment Test. There are no specific skills or experience that are considered prerequisites for entry into the Career Step training program.
- Is Career Step accredited?
Career Step is registered under the Utah Post-Secondary Proprietary School Act but is not nationally or regionally accredited. However, our career-focused training programs are approved by a number of industry specific organizations and are designed with employer feedback to ensure students are gaining exactly the skills needed to get a job and succeed in the workforce.
The Career Step training programs prepare students for career fields where employers are looking for skilled applicants. Career Step works closely with employers when developing a training program to ensure students graduate with the skills employers are looking for. We've also developed close ties to industry associations, aligning our programs with their recommendations. Career Step programs boast the following recognitions:
- Career Step’s Medical Transcription Editor curriculum is approved by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the leading medical transcription industry association.
- The Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program is approved by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), a leading organization focused on increasing the quality of health career education.
Career Step programs are also designed to prepare you for certifications that greatly improve your employment opportunities. Employers are often more familiar with various credentials than with the quality of education provided by different schools. To help your resume stand out from other applicants, various Career Step programs help prepare students to earn the following third-party credentials:
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
- Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS)
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- Microsoft Office Specialist – Master (MOS-Master)
This focus on helping you gain the skills needed to succeed in the workforce has made our students successful in the job market—over 85% of Career Step graduates are employed in their field of study, and 91% of employed Medical Transcription graduates work from home in their first job.
- How is the Career Step Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program structured?
The Career Step Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program is offered entirely online, providing 24/7 access to all material and allowing you to progress through the curriculum on your own schedule and at your own pace. The programs are broken into modules, or course subjects, all of which focus on helping you build the essential knowledge and skills of a medical administrative assistant. The Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR program also includes hands-on training on the ezEMRx EHR software platform, helping you gain hands-on experience before graduation. The final exam is designed to provide an experience similar to that of the industry certification exams, and the program prepares students to sit for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) exams.
- What type of student support does Career Step offer?
Career Step student support includes access to:
Student Support Instructors and Advisors who have professional experience in the industry and are uniquely qualified to answer questions about both the curriculum and the industry. They provide timely answers to questions about the program material and offer a number of personal consultations throughout the training to help students master important concepts.
Technical Support Advisors who are knowledgeable, experienced, and available six days a week to help you work through any technical or computer issues encountered within the training program.
Graduate Support Advisors who help you transition to the workforce after graduation. Your Graduate Advisors will help prepare the best resume, develop solid interview skills, and teach you valuable job search techniques.
Though the courses are entirely online, you'll never be on your own. Career Step's student support team is available to offer personal, ongoing support all the way through the training program.
- How long does it take to finish the course?
The Career Step Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR training program is 285 completion hours. Since the program is completely self-paced and the online training format allows you the flexibility to study as much or as little as your schedule allows, the time it takes you to complete the course will vary from other students. Some students are able to complete their training program in as little as 2 or 3 months (working on the course full-time, 8 hours a day 5 days a week) and others, who are more limited in the time they can devote to the course, take longer (for example, students who can devote about 15 hours a week may finish in about 5 months).
Every student who enrolls in one of these programs receives an initial 6-month period of enrollment. Though the program is designed to be completed in 3 months of full-time study, you'll have a full 6 months to complete your training. If you need extra time to complete the course after your initial 6-month enrollment, we have 3-month extensions available for purchase.
- How do I find work after graduation?
Career Step offers personalized, post-graduation resources for your job search, including:
- Personal consultation with a Graduate Advisor
- Personalized interview tutorials and training
- Individual resume and cover letter review, tips, and advice
- Free certification exam voucher(s) up graduation (depends on program of study)
- Access to Career Step's help hotline for 6 months after graduation
These resources offer the personalized help you need after graduation to transition to the workplace. With this individualized help and attention, the majority of our graduates are hired within a few months of graduation.
- What materials and computer specifications are required to complete the course?
Your enrollment includes everything you will need to train for a successful career as a medical administrative assistant. Your enrollment includes:
- Access to expert-created curriculum
- Complete ebook library
- One-on-one help from student and technical support
- Valuable graduate resources
- Free certification exam voucher(s) up graduation (depends on program of study)
Since the course is completely online, your computer will play an important role in your learning experience. We recommend the following minimum computer system specifications:
- Active internet connection (High speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
- Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (ver. 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (ver. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x/9.x
- Firefox 3.x*
- Safari 4.x or greater (Mac only)*
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)*
Note: Mobile browsing devices are not currently supported. However, Career Step is investigating the implementation of mobile device support, and these specifications will be updated once a decision has been reached.
- What payment options does Career Step offer?
We realize that one of the most important questions tied to education is how it will be paid for. Because this is such a big part of the decision of whether or not to go back to school, Career Step has designed several tuition assistance and payment options. Please visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information.
- How soon will I receive my materials?
It takes 2-3 business days to process the application, depending on method of payment. Once the payment is processed you will be emailed your course login and password and can start training immediately. Additional course materials are shipped UPS Ground after the payment is processed. The average wait is about 7-10 days.
Make an online program work for you! Check out our 5 student-tested study tips for staying motivated and productive as an online student.
The electronic health record industry expects over 180,000 new jobs in the next few years. Find out if this is the career for you!
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
- "This program was very clear and easy to follow. Also, the flexibility allowed me to study around my life with 4 children. I would recommend this program to others." Read More Testimonials »
- "Taking the Career Step course was very exciting for me. I had not been in school for quite a number of years. The assistance, thoughtfulness and understanding from the instructors and support people were second to none. It is a very detailed, professional course." Read More Testimonials »