- Prepare for the future of healthcare
- Be career-ready in as little as 3 months
- Train to earn an average of $37,000/yr
- All for only $2,395 USD
APRIL ONLY: Get a free iPad!Enroll Online »
Medical Administrative Assistant Job Description And Earning Potential
What Are the Advantages of a Medical Administrative Assistant Career?
Electronic health records (EHR) are becoming more and more common within healthcare, and this transition is driving a need for administrative professionals specifically trained on EHR software.
Being a medical administrative assistant with EHR expertise offers a number of benefits including:
- An edge in the job market – By training on EHR software before you even start looking for a job, you prepare for the future of healthcare and give yourself an edge in the medical administrative assistant job market by developing skills most employers have to teach on the job
- Competitive salaries and benefits – Medical administrative assistants typically earn over $19/hr, and these professionals may also qualify for traditional employment benefits.
- Starting place for further education or advancement – A career as a medical administrative assistant gets your foot in the door at a hospital or physician’s office, making it easier to move to a different position if you gain additional education or experience later on.
With a Career Step education, you will learn the software, organization, and business skills needed to keep a modern medical office running smoothly.
What Does a Medical Administrative Assistant Do?
Medical administrative assistants can be found in a variety of healthcare facilities because they keep the business on track while others see to the clinical needs of patients. Your specific job responsibilities would depend on your employer, but medical administrative assistants often handle:
- Creating and updating patients' electronic health records
- Managing the day-to-day operations of a medical facility
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments
- Verifying patient insurance
- Completing and submitting insurance forms
- Preparing correspondence between medical providers and their patients
- Providing quality customer service to patients
Medical administrative assistants generally work in a professional environment in physicians’ office, hospitals, clinics, etc.
How Much Do Medical Administrative Assistants Earn?
Working in Canada reports that, on average, medical administrative assistants earn between $12.50 and $25.62 an hour. For more information on average wages in your specific region, visit the Working in Canada website. You may also qualify for benefits as a medical administrative assistant.
Career Step's Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR course helps you gain the knowledge and skills you need to maximize your job opportunities and earning potential by preparing you to earn the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) credentials. These credentials prove to employers that you have the skills they’re looking for, and you'll be prepared to sit for the certification exams upon graduation. The program even includes vouchers to take the exams upon graduation (a $210 value)!
The electronic health record industry expects over 180,000 new jobs in the next few years. Find out if this is the career for you!
A certificate program is a quick, affordable way to learn job skills that can make the difference between wishing you could get a new job and starting a rewarding new career.
- "This program was very clear and easy to follow. Also, the flexibility allowed me to study around my life with 4 children. I would recommend this program to others." Read More Testimonials »
- "Taking the Career Step course was very exciting for me. I had not been in school for quite a number of years. The assistance, thoughtfulness and understanding from the instructors and support people were second to none. It is a very detailed, professional course." Read More Testimonials »